Jane Says...

Jane in full swing...

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

When I grow up I want to be an actress. I figure it's the only job that has possibilities of being everyone while being anyone. I don't need any skill besides the one of pretending. Think of all the time I'll save not learning all the different trades in school. Of course, the roles are temporary and the scenery and people are constantly changing, but, hey, who needs consistency. It's overrated. You miss out on a lot of interesting things when you follow a pattern. Life should be an adventure.

I sometimes find myself creating roles in life to fill my career void. I should take the plunge and start acting again... instead, I entertain crazy ideas like becoming a phone sex operator. The thought of telling my grandmother about my possible new job made me pause. What would she think? So I decide against it. It's too outrageous. But is it?

Who determines what is too outrageous? When I compare myself to other women, I know I'm not the same as them. I have acknowledge that I am not the norm. How many women in the US go to swing parties, believe that women can make it on their own and prosper, the same-sex relationships are a wonderful way to have people bond?

Some of these ideas are not accepted in today's society. Times have changed, so that not as many people are persecuted for these beliefs, but they are not wholly accepted.

I think about some of the people I know raising children on the beliefs that their parents instilled in them and it gives me the creeps. To have a child prejudiced against people because of their color or religion or sexual persuasion, I can't have that happen to my child. I'm fortunate that the father of my child does not have these prejudices, so it will make teaching the child that to accept people for who they are, not what they are, much easier.

Maybe my child will have a harder time being accepted into polite society because it believes ( I hope) things can be different and people can live together without hate. That would make everything worth while.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home